DOG TRAINING FUNDAMENTALS: LESSON 1

 


Hey, what's up guys Oscar here with elevated canine, together with documentary TV, We are gon na start a training series called fundamentals of dog training and I hope you guys enjoy alright guys. So the first step in our dog training is Making sure that we charge our markers with what I mean by that is letting the dog know when he's gon na get rewarded, So in this case we're gon na use the word. Yes, when we say the word: Yes, we are gon na produce a reward. It could either be kibble. You see here in my hand, or it could be a tug, have one back here and So basically, as soon as I say, the word yes, that's gon na produce the reward. Why is that important? It is important because that is gon na. 

Let the dog know exactly what he did, that is gon na get him paid. So, for example, I'm gon na I'm gon na break Benny from his place right now. 

So if I go okay and if I go Benny place - Yes, he knows that he's gon na get rewarded. He can come off of his place place. Yes, alright, so we're gon na start from the beginning place and How we charge this marker. 

Alright, So the first step is to make sure that you have a dog that is interested in you. So we want a dog that is very Invested and wants to work for you so that you could teach the behaviors if you go outside and you're trying to teach the dog to sit down, come whatever you're trying to teach them and Instead he's sniffing looking at Other dogs, or whatever he's doing it's gon na, be very difficult, so we have to make sure that the dog is invested in us and he wants to work for us. So in At this point, I'm gon na show you how we start that. So what you do is you're gon na grab your dog come out put a leash on your dog just because Okay and I'm gon na remove this place out of the way. 

So if I have a dog say that sniffing like how he is right now He's going around as soon as he focuses on me, and he looks at me, 

I'M gon na mark the yes and I'm gon na pay him Three pieces of the kibble and I'll stand still he's looking at me. Yes, I pay again. Obviously, You know: we've done some training with this guy, so he knows the program, But we will take out other dogs or we can show you Yes, So here he's invested in me. He wants to. He wants to work, Yes, He's being very focused on me. 

And that's what you want from a dog All right, So I'm gon na take out a puppy Next. So you guys to see the the process with the dog that has no training. 

I have done no training with his dog. 

We just got him in from Costa Rica and he's a German Shepherd puppy, So we'll bring him out and show you guys the process Alright guys. So this is my young dog. I just got him in from Costa Rica. His name is hustle and We're gon na show you guys a little bit about that engagement thing that we talked about again. This is for dogs that are a little more food motivated or you know, some dogs are not treat motivated, So you got to find other ways that they are gon na, find satisfaction in whatever you give them tug Praise whatever it is in this case, We're using Food just to show you guys the process, so I haven't done any sessions with him, yet He just got in a couple days ago. So he, as you can see, he's already a very focused little pup, but you know So: I'm gon na show you guys and again we're charging the marker as I go 

So I'm gon na charge the yes marker at the same time that I'm building engagement All right. Yes, So he doesn't even know what yes means, but I'm gon na produce a reward. He looks at me. Yes, Then I produced a reward. I can even make him chase it a little bit standstill. Yes, he looks at me I mark and I feed. Yes, you got to make sure that you capture the right moment as soon as you say. He looks at you. Yes, In this one, I'm gon na give them three treats, So you kind of you could jackpot make sure that you give them more than one Yes and you'll, see that there'll be a lot more attentive, rather than you just giving one piece of food. 

You give three pieces of food: 

Yes and then you'll see how the dog becomes a lot more engaged than you. Yes, so the reason why I put him on leash is Just so if he was interested in a lot of other things, I could stop him, I'm not gon na correct them and I'm gon na stop him. Yes, All right! Yes, All right guys. So the reason why I'm using food to me - It's just the easiest thing to use when working, because I can limit their food a little bit. Yes, I could feed them Through training and create that bond that engagement, Yes, But you can see this little guy already picking it up all right. Yes, nice, buddy, good boy, Yes, and then you just end your session done, yeah boy, good boy, That's a good! All! Right guys, So just a little recap on this video that we shot Is, is how to create engagement and charge your yes marker. At the same time again So the yes marker means you are gon na produce a reward. 

So the dog looks at you. You say the word: Yes, You reach into your pockets and you can give them one piece, two piece: three pieces of food Or if your dog is in food motivated, what you do is you'll go 

Yes and you'll bring out the tug Give your dog the tug and play play play play out. You can give him another bite or you could put it away. He stays focused on you, Yes bring it out and again you are just Making sure that your dog is invested in you. He wants to work for you, instead of being into all these other things. So I know it's gon na be questions. What if your dog, isn't food motivated? What, if your dog isn't ugh motivated? Well, you can create. You can create that motivation. 

You could bring it up by either cutting their food a little bit and maybe, instead of feeding them in a bowl. You feed them out of your hand, create that engagement with you or You could. Even you know, if your dog, you want your dog to be a little more tug motivated. What you could do is you could attach it to a leash where he has to chase it play with them. Remember It's about the game, Not necessarily the tug, So how some dogs, you know, 

Like like to pull on the tug, you got to see what your dog likes every dog is different, So if that's for you to find out - and there are some videos out there of other trainers Ivan Balaban of Michael Ellis - Those are trainers that I look up To again, I hope you guys enjoyed this. If you guys have any questions feel free to email. Us leave comments, Make sure you subscribe. You know, Zeke is gon na be out here and let them know that you're interested in some more dog training, videos and we'll do what We can. I have. I have a lot planned for you guys Shaping how to teach your dog to go to the bed. How to walk next to you Recalls, so if you guys are interested make sure you let Zeke know in th    e comments. 

Hope you guys have a good one. 


No comments: